What you get
Service Business Frameworks (SBFs) represent one of the cornerstones of service ecosystems. The key objective of a SBF is to build and support an ecosystem of applications and services that is sustainable and fosters innovation as well as cross-fertilization. In particular, it consists of a number of interrelated components that support managing services in the business framework across the whole service lifecycle: from creation and composition of services to monetization and revenue sharing.
The Wirecloud (App Mashup) Monetization Bundle represents one of the uses cases of the Service Business Framework and intends to show the potential of the SBF features provided by FIWARE in a concrete use case. This use case is based on the use of the SBF to monetize the mashable application components used in Wirecloud.
This bundle includes the set of GEis that support different monetization and revenue sharing features of SBFs plus the application that will be the client of those services: Wirecloud. The final list of the GEis included in this bundle is:
- Marketplace RI (Marketplace GEi): This GEi is in charge of bringing together offering and demand allowing the publication and search of offerings that are offered in different Stores. The rketplace also includes some lateral functions such as review, rating and recommendation of offerings.
- Repository RI (Repository GEi): This GEi provides a consistent uniform API to USDL service descriptions and associated media files for applications and services offered in the business famework.
- WStore (Store GEi): While the marketplace is a platform for many stores to place their offerings to a broader audience and consumers to search and compare services and find the store where to buy, WStore GEi is in charge of the final business transaction (buying) and the whole back office process; that is, the end-to-end managing of offerings and sales including the charging of the customer.
- RSS GEi: This GEi is in charge of distributing the revenues originated by the business transactions of a given application among several stakeholders involved. In particular, it focuses on sharing part of the revenue generated by an application between WStore GEi instance provider and the service provider(s) responsible for the offering. Note: The RSS GE does not have a recipe, but it is available as a global instance in the FIWARE Lab. Therefore, the blueprint for this bundle does not configure this GEri. Nevertheless, the user guide of the Store GEri (see Administration section) explains how to connect the Store to a RSS instance once it has been deployed (e.g through this blueprint)
- Wirecloud (Application Mashup GEi): This GEi builds on cutting-edge end-user development, RIA and semantic technologies to offer a next-generation end-user centred web application Mashup platform aimed at leveraging the long tail of the Internet of Services. Web application mashups integrate heterogeneous data, application logic, and UI components (widgets) sourced from the Web to create new coherent and value-adding composite applications. Wirecloud uses the SBF functionalities for monetizing those components (widgets, operators and their composition: mashups).
It is necessary to remark that this bundle requires to be deployed in a FIWARE instance since it requires an Identity Manager to work. Note that for a correct management of the business process, user and organization information should be shared by the different GEis.
This bundle has all the features of the Business Framework Bundle:
- Support for Linked USDL standard, including storage of services and offerings USDL descriptions thought Repository-RI.
- Creation of offerings under different pricing models (including payments, subscriptions and pay-per-use) allowing the monetization of applications and services thought WStore (Store GEi).
- Publication of offerings offered in WStore in Marketplace-RI in order to allow making then visible to a higher number of potential customers
- Search, comparison and acquisition of offerings thought Marketplace-RI and WStore.
- Support for sharing the different revenues, generated during the business process, between the involved stakeholders thought the RSS GEi.
- Support for storing business transactions through the RSS GEi.
Plus the features provided by Wirecloud and their integration with the SBF:
- Support for publishing, discovering and monetizing application mashup components thought the SBF.
Why to get it
On the one hand, The Wirecloud Monetization Bundle offers an environment where application mashup component providers can meet potential customers bringing together offering and demand while supporting the complete offering live cycle, from the creation and publication of service and application offerings under flexible and complex pricing models, to the acquisition and charging of those offerings including the revenue sharing between the involved stakeholders.
On the other hand, the Wirecloud Monetization Bundle relies in the Linked USDL standard for the definition of offerings providing fully support for this standard and storage for the different documents that describe the offered digital assets.
Moreover, although the Wirecloud Monetization Bundle is useful in itself, it represents a good example of how to implement monetization of services/components and can be used as base/skeleton for implementing monetization in other use cases.
Generic enablers of the bundle
The different Catalogue pages describing GEs included in the Wirecloud Monetization Bundle can be found following: